Addiction to Alcohol/Drinking dreams

Question
Hi...I'm a recently sober (90 days) female alcoholic.  I have had long bouts of sobriety (as long as ten years), but I've had relapse issues.  I find myself occasionally dreaming I am drinking, or looking for drinks in situations, etc.  Some times I'm very relieved when I wake up and realize it was just a dream, and other times I'm almost "disappointed" or something in the semi-dream state that it is not real.  Kind of hard to explain.  My question is do you feel dreams of this nature are indicators that a relapse is in the back of my mind again?  Thanks.

Answer
Hi there -

Thanks for the question - it lets me know you want to move past where you are.

My sense is that using dreams alone are simply an indicator that you're having using dreams.  I'm not convinced that these dreams are an indicator of anything but your body trying to work itself back to homeostasis, or balance. When you begin to get sober your body will generate various kinds of brain chemistry to support normal functioning.  This functioning happens to develop additional kinds of neural pathways. When these pathways are developed you begin to experience various kinds of manifestations, such as using dreams.

I would not worry about these dreams unless they are very distressing to you. Various kinds of anti-craving medications have been helpful in supporting people to overcome PAWS, or post acute withdrawal syndrome - using dreams are a part of PAWS.   I would invite you to talk to your doctor about anti-craving meds such as Naltrexone, Campral, Prazosin, or Vivitrol, an injectable form of naltrexone.

Be well

Todd

Addiction to Alcohol

Todd