Addiction to Alcohol/Alcohol free 'healing crisis'?

I quit drinking cold turkey mid November. Have never gone a week without being intoxicated in years.
By the first week in December I started to feel flu like symptoms, though I had the flu shot and eat well and get fresh air and exercise. Mostly just tired and a bit groggy, and mentally a bit edgy. It got worse until XMAS when I spent the weekend mostly just lying down. Since Xmas I am feeling better, almost back to normal energy, feeling happy, and I am hearing quite audible 'gurgling' type noises from where my liver/gall bladder should be. Never experianced these before, they occur two or three time a day, usually between meals, no pain .
Does this sound like I am going through some type of alcohol free healing crisis, if there is such a thing?

Hi Barry,

I must congratulate you for withdrawing cold turkey. That is quite an achievement. I  have never heard of the symptoms you are talking about.

All I know is that most alcoholics are hypoglycemic. See:

What is Hypoglycemia?

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

Also read:
Drug Addiction is a Nutritional Disorder

Why Alcoholics Drink

It is important that you re-establish perfect health in order to avoid all sorts of illnesses, that may have been related to your addiction in the past.

If you want to, you should discuss these problems with doctor or nutritional doctor.

I hope I have been helpful. Good luck!

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:

Addiction to Alcohol

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy and psychotherapy

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Book: "Getting Off the Hook"freely available on the internet at Google Book Search.
Editor: Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych), Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)