Addiction to Alcohol/a question about studying

I have a question about studying psychology. I realise this may not be your expertise but I  couldn't find anyone else to ask.
I have been in Alcoholics Anonymous, Codependents Anonymous and Adult Children of Alcoholics for twelve years. I am interested in studying to get into the drug an alcohol field. Either Cert. of Drug and Alcohol plus Cert. in Mental Health along with Bachelor Psychology. I am a mature aged lady and haven't studied for fifteen years. Is studying psychology hard work? I am scared about signing up in case I fail the first semester part time.
What are your advices please.

HI Jane,
This is not an easy question to answer, because I myself went through the same process.  I have a Bachelor Degree in psychology and a Post Graduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition, because frankly psychologists or a psychology degree courses have very little value in the treatment of mood disorders and addictions. In my humble opinion psychologists have not got a clue about the causes of addiction or any other mood disorder. This is simply because I view mood disorders as primarily caused by underlying biochemical abnormalities that need to be treated FIRST because considering psycho-social factors. What is required is some rudimentary knowledge of biochemistry to understand its effects on the mind. Very few psychologists or psychiatrists have the basic biochemical understanding to see the relationship between nutritional biochemistry and human behaviour.

To familiarise with my view of what addiction and other mood disorders is all-out read:

Drug Addiction is a Nutritional Disorder

Why Alcoholics Drink

Also read my book: Content of Getting off the Hook

I am quite familiar with the the tenets of AA. Quite a few AA members used to attend my groups where I taught the principles of psychonutritional therapy in order to enable my clients to do their own psychonutritional therapy.

Nevertheless I feel that a course in Psychology will be useful, if you think of taking up a career as a drug counsellor.

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
Also at Facebook:

Addiction to Alcohol

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy and psychotherapy

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Book: "Getting Off the Hook"freely available on the internet at Google Book Search.
Editor: Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych), Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)