Addiction to Alcohol/Depression?

Hello again Jurriaan
I think I am slowly winning my battle with alcohol. I am able to stay sober for weeks at a time, until I binge drink and pass out. I am getting sick of it now so this could be the final battle!
Anyway, I do have a question, and this may be right up your alley!
In my quest to discover why I drink and to achieve sobriety, I have come up with a few answers. But, there is still one thing that really bugs me. I am hoping that some of you guys experiance this.
Whenever I binge drink to the point of passing out, for the next few days I feel really 'nervous', jumpy, and a bit depressed. Mostly for no reason really as I drink alone at home then pass out in bed. Occasionally I disturb my wife, but she says I have gotten better. It takes about a week for this mental state to pass and for me to feel mentally my usual happy and positive (mostly) self again. I just wonder why this happens? All I can think of is that it is some kind of bio-chemical affect the liquor has on my system, increasing stress hormones or something.  The last time it happened it was pretty scary. Its definatly enough to make me want to stop. Maybe its something unique to my bio chemical makeup? I never got into smoking marijuana, thank God, because it makes me extremely paranoid. Unlike my friends that partake. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer me. Thanksgiving is coming up here in Canada. Do you guys have anything like that down under?

Hello Bud,

I don’t know how much you know about the nutritional treatment of alcoholism. Thus I cannot say how far you are into proper treatment.

I don’t know if you have read any of my articles on the topic of alcoholism or addiction.  You will find most of my articles at:

I suggest you read;
Alcoholism (Addiction) is a Treatable Disease
Drug Addiction is a Nutritional Disorder
Why Alcoholics Drink 
Depression: A Nutritional Disorder

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
List of my articles:
Also at Facebook:

Addiction to Alcohol

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy and psychotherapy

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Book: "Getting Off the Hook"freely available on the internet at Google Book Search.
Editor: Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych), Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)