Addiction to Alcohol/cbt or psychotherapy or psichiatry?

Hello Dr Plesman, a relative of mine who is 20 years old says she has a numb mind for example she is not happy nor sad. she doesnt feel emotions and is not interested in anything , she cuts herself to get out of this numbness. she also  has social phobia, some panic attacks and anxiety. she admitts she has suicidal thoughts but she told me  they are only thoughts but she is not actually doing it.  and she promised me not think more of suicide. now she seems calm and is willing to get professional help. can psychotherapy help her? what do you think of cbt? or should we see a psychiatrist? i dont want to waste time now b/c she needs help now. Dr Plesman can you please reply as soon as you can?  Thanks a lot in advanced.

Hello Ann,

I thought I had answered this question before. As a nutritional psychotherapist, I am trying the help people overcome mood disorder by educational means. I use a combination of nutritional therapy and psychotherapy to look at the biochemical underpinnings of mood disorders.
She is most probably depressed because her body is not producing feel-good neurotransmitters. The major cause of this is hypoglycemia (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (

Please read: Depression is a Nutritional Disorder

Depression is a Disease of Energy Production

which will explain why she is depressed.

I suggest that you discuss this with your doctor or a clinical nutritionist.

I hope I have been of some help. Why don’t you ask your relative to contact me on Skype. I am available most of the time between 1 - 5 pm Australian time.

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
List of my articles:
Also at Facebook:

Addiction to Alcohol

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy and psychotherapy

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Book: "Getting Off the Hook"freely available on the internet at Google Book Search.
Editor: Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych), Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)