Addiction to Alcohol/Ascites/ sodium?

Hi Jurriaan and Merry Xmas!
Happy to report my struggle to maintain my sobriety is getting easier. I have a few AA friends I can talk to now, and I think maturity and less stress helps too.  What I am concerned about most is a physical symptom that used to happen whenever I binged. My belly bloated up for a week after. I noticed that it was worse if I was eating salty foods with the booze-example beer and chips. Was this just a natural reaction, or fluid buildup from the salt? Does it not seem that booze and salty foods often go together? Sure makes the booze go down easier. Lately, I have been eating much less sodium, and it the bloat-not fat- is slowly going down. Do you know if heavy drinkers are more prone to sodium sensitivity and holding water weight on their abdomens? My doc said I do not have cirrhosis or even ascites the last time I saw him, but this is something else that has occurred to me. Is it possible heavy a high sodium diet would increase the chances of an alcoholic getting ascites/cirrhosis? Thanks for your thoughts!

Hello Barry,

Your questions are hard to answer, because a diet of alcohol, chippies and salt is hardly a healthy diet.  Your body has a powerful mechanism to preserve sodium, and really you don’t need a high sodium diet to preserve salt in your body.

Most people suffering from alcoholism su;for from hypoglycemia (

This can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet (
The hypoglycemic diet can be considered a natural diet, that should be able to produce all the feel good neurotransmitters and hormones  to feel good.

Please read:

Why Alcoholics Drink

Alcoholism is a Treatable Disease

Jurriaan Plesman BA (Psych) Post Grad Dip Clin Nutrition
Editor of the Hypoglycemic Association of Australia
List of my articles:
Also at Facebook:

Addiction to Alcohol

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy and psychotherapy

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Book: "Getting Off the Hook"freely available on the internet at Google Book Search.
Editor: Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych), Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)