Addiction to Alcohol/fatty liver

Hello, Clyde, Thank you for taking the time to listen, its greatly appreciated.
I have been drinking on and off for 20+ years, I am female and reach 57 later this year.
My drinking habits have pretty much stayed the same, a lager and then about 3/4 glasses of red wine most days.
I tried again to give up this year so from January to April I had no drink.
I went on holiday at the beginning of May and decided to have a drink I had about 3/4 bottle of wine a night.
When i returned from Holiday I continued drinking about 1/2 bottle wine a night.
Early hours of the morning I was rushed into Emergency by ambulance with horrific pains all along my RHS at the side up to shoulder upper abdomen and penetrating through to my back.
The hospital took bloods then started me on Anti Bioctics by IV and pain killers, I was given a saline drip which later was changed for a yellow coloured drip which was then given me 3 x a day.
The bloods showed raised Liver reading, High White blood cell count, and something about the Panceas.
The pain subsided, and I was told there was alot of infection inside. I told them I had been drinking.
I was treated with pain killers the AB IV and the yellow drip for 4 days, then had an ultrsound scan, as gallstones were suspected.
The scan showed gallstones, I heard the Nurse say I had a fatty liver.
When the surgeon came to discuss the scan with me he said we will need to remove the gallbladder, but he never mentioned the fatty liver.
When I asked him about the fatty liver, he was very crass with me and said yes you have, I asked would this get any worse? he said yes because you are over weight and you drink to much.
I felt really hurt and treated really harshly.
When I asked what I can do  regarding my liver he was not interestd and gave me no advice at all.
On my discharge the notes it said on arrival to emergency that my bloods showed a raised amylase? deranged LFT's and raised WCC. It said a chest x ray was unremarkable?
Abdominal scan showed a thin walled gallbladder with calculi. it said i was started on IV co-amoxiclav given raised WCC now switched to oral to complete a 5 day course. The pain is now settled and her bloods are now unremarkable? and she is therefore being discharged.
So sorry to take so long in explaining, I do apologise.
When i was leaving the nurse said the yellow drip was to repair my liver? and I was told very harshly to lay off the booze.
I went to see my GP straightaway, told him what had happened, and he said they will review you in 6 weeks and will have to remove the gallbladder, I told him I would not go back because of the degraded way they treated me. When I asked about the fatty liver situation, he told me that it cannot be reversed that I must go on a low fat diet and get plenty of excercise. I was so worried I said I am worried if I dont do everything I possibly can now to save my liver it will get much worse and become Chirrosis (sorry spelling) he was not interested, and said just dont drink and keep fit???
Could you advise what you think of my saga please, I dont want to have my Gallbladder removed if its my liver causing the pain, and not the gallstones.
If I went ahead and had the GB removed would my liver struggle even more because I have no GB? Why is there no suggestion of seeing a liver specialist or getting advice about what to eat to aid a fatty liver. I know to stop drinking is the first step, and that is now done, maybe to late though??? i will never touch Alcohol again, the last week has been the most horrific time in my life, and I dont know what to do, where to turn, I can't rest my mind as I feel that I should be doing more to help my Liver. Thank you so much for listening to my hopeless case, just any explainations or pointers would be greatly received. Once again Thank you, kind regards Holi x

Thank you for your message and questions.  The explanation was helpful to know somewhat about your situation.  You are on the right road - you now say that there will be no more alcohol!  That is paramount.  I have no expertise in answering your medical questions but those are quite secondary to the quitting the drink.  What I can do is suggest ways to keep true to your commitment to begin a new way of living.  You have questions and fears about the liver and no one seems to be interested enough to address those.  Keep at it and look for other GPs that will show some interest.  Let them know up front you have the liver condition, you have been a drinker for many years, have made a decision to quit but you need a good GP to follow you in the early days to give you some good care and advice.  Get to Alcoholics Anonymous as soon as possible and get a Big Book and a sponsor.  The rooms of AA are where you will find people just like you who want to stay quit.  This is the source of people who can direct you to some good GPs perhaps.  Share openly with the groups and get into the program with both feet.  Work the 12 Steps and keep going from day to day even when you find there are people and professionals out there who couldn't care less about alcoholism.
   AA is the way to all the things you will need.
   Hope this helps.
Grace and Peace,

Addiction to Alcohol

I can answer questions on the recovery from alcohol addiction as I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of sobriety. I can also address the spiritual aspects of the 12-Step program as I have a Master of Divinity degree; serve as a pastor in the Quaker church; and, serve as a hospice chaplain. I have also served as a prison chaplain for one year and currently volunteer as a mentor once a week, working with two inmates one-on-one as they work towards reentry into society as free persons.

I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of continuous sobriety.

Master of Divinity awarded in 2000 from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary