Addiction to Alcohol/Is this possible

Question
Hello Dave,

I am concerned I may be an alcoholic. I am obsessed with getting drunk. I love it. Once I get tipsy I just want more and more until I blackout. Once I feel drunk I almost can't stop and drink to dangerous levels. However this compulsion to drink doesn't start until I get tipsy. For example if I casually have 1 or 2 beers (which I rarely do because I WANT to get wasted when I drink and see having one or two beers as pointless) and don't feel tipsy, I have no problem. I physically can have 1 or 2 drinks I just think it's a waste of time because id rather just get hammered to oblivion, but I know I can do it. Whenever I do have one or two drinks casually, I guess it kinda makes me think about getting drunk but I can do it, it's just no fun and pointless.

Is it possible that I'm an alcoholic even though I'm having this experience with the one or two drink issue, and that I don't lose control until I get tipsy.

Answer
Hello  Ed
My Name is Dave and Im an alcoholic.
Only you can determine yourself to be alcoholic. An alcoholic always has 2 characteristics that set him aside from the binge drinker; one is the obsession to drink. Can you stop drinking on your own and stay stopped ? Second is that once you've had any alcohol can you control and enjoy your drinking or do you drink to oblivion ? There are times when an alcoholic can hold it down to a couple of drinks but more often comes an inability to stop...or at least a strong craving for more alcohol. Craving in this case is defined by a physical demand for more and more that's nearly impossible to ignore or deny.
Those are the questions you need to answer to yourself....
Hope this simple model helps answer your question.
Dave  

Addiction to Alcohol

Dave K