Addiction to Drugs/Methodone detox

I have been taking methodone for about a year for a back injury. Taking 20 mg, which is where I started. Want to stop the medicine. How should I approach the withdrawal and should I expect much of a detox problem at such a low dose?

Fortunately you haven't been taking it for very long, so your withdrawals might not be that serious.  As you probably know, this can be a difficult drug to stop taking.  Also in your favor is the fact that you've been on a pretty low dose.

Usually these detoxes are carried out gradually, with as much of a reduction per week as you can stand.  1 mg, 5mg, or other amount; it's all up to you and your doctor.  You will probably experience some discomfort nonetheless, but that's expected.

Best of luck with this process!

Addiction to Drugs

Peter L.

I am available to answer any questions about substance use, abuse, and dependence. I can also offer perspective on treatment options and how to motivate someone to get help. I have over 27 years of experience as a substance abuse treatment professional, working with adolescents and adults in a variety of treatment settings. I feel I can answer just about any question in this topic area but can also access reference sources, or direct you to these for additional information gathering or education on your own.

I am a professional addictions counselor working in a very highly respected treatment center, as well as having a private practice in two states.

Masters Degree in Behavioral Science Licensed Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor in three states. Also an Internationally Certified Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor