Addiction to Drugs/Wife Battling Addiction

Question
My wife and I have been together for 5 years and have 2 children. She has been battling addiction for almost 10 years now. I didn't know her when she started. So I am going by when she told me she started. My question is I recently had to transfer due to my job. She refused to move even though neither of us are from that state. She told me that she wanted time to figure herself out, but won't admit that her problem is bad. She doesn't want professional help or my support. Not sure if it matters, but she is a convicted felon for dr shopping. She blames me for her drug usage. I have never had to battle addiction so it is hard for to understand her feelings. I try but she doesn't open up to me about it. She told me that she wants to get better on her own. I can't help but feel that there is more to the story. She wants a temporary seperation until she decides what she wants, but she wants our children with her. I am just so confused and frustrated that I don't really know what to do. I have our children with me. Should I believe that she is really trying to change or does this seem like another trick? Should I keep paying her bills there to keep her from becoming homeless? She doesn't even deposit her check to pay bills. Love can't be turned on and off. I also feel obligated to keep her under a roof and groceries in the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Jeremy,

I appreciate your situation. It is always difficult to care about and love someone affected by the disease of addiction.  As I am sure you understand, when someone is addicted, those around them get sick as well. Boundary issues and codependencies are the manifestations of addicted disorders in family members and loved ones. In other words.... it is time to set boundaries and gain support for yourself. If she is hungry , provide a sandwich, if she needs a place to stay,  provide the phone numbers for detox or shelters. Up the ante so that she has limited choices, and hopefully will choose treatment.
Most people suffering from this disease can not get well alone. It is natural that she wants to remain private given the shame and embarrassment that are consequences of her use. It is also normal to deny that she has a problem at all for the same reasons. Addiction is a difficult hat to wear.
Of course, your natural inclination is to protect and serve her in her time of need. You can not "fix" this situation for her... but you can point her in the direction of treatment centers, or counseling arenas that specialize in addiction counseling.
It is also important that you seek help and support for yourself to deal with this emotional time in your life, as well as to help you make the best decisions for your family. Please seek out Al-anon, which is a support meeting for the family and loved ones of those suffering from the disease of addiction. You can find a meeting in your area by going to www.alanon.com.
I wish you all the best
Sherrie

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet