Addiction to Drugs/Hair follicle drug test

Would taking one 5mg Percocet two months ago cause me to fail a hair follicle drug test? I know there are cut off levels, would this be under the cut off of 300 pg/mg? Thank you

Hey Joseph

If you have seen the gist of my answers in the past I am not a fan of drug testing, especially for things like employment (maybe unless you are a pilot).  I think what you do in your spare time is your own business and one Percocet two months ago is not going to affect your job performance now

Anyway, it's a hard question to answer as the tests vary.  The information I could find suggested that some tests can find drugs in hair samples up to 90 days, which would unfortunately put your use of the medication in the timeline.  I am Australian and there was a famous case of a footballer with a drug problem just shaving all the hair off his body.  This would prevent the test but get them wondering.  Is there any possibility you get some kind of letter from a friendly doctor who could vouch for you, saying it was for a migraine?  I know I am not being much help but I don't see many other options.

The only other suggestion is that you try googling "avoiding drug detection in hair tests".  There are a lot of sites that offer help on this.  I would do it for you but unfortunately I'm on an iphone and our electricity has gone out (I am currently living in Cambodia, constant problem), and not a bunch of battery left.  I just had a quick look and there were a couple of sites but not sure what they are like.  

I am sorry I can't be of more help, but good luck and I hope you pass it!

Take care,

Addiction to Drugs

I am a psychologist committed to Harm reduction, a philosophy that acknowledges people will continue to use drugs despite all of the effort put into stopping it (case in point - US government drug war ... trillions of dollars spent fighting and more people using). I advocate to support people who use drugs by reducing the harms associated with their use through needle and syringe programs (NSP), advocating for drug law reform, non-judgmental health services and reducing the stigma associated with drugs. I have worked in harm reduction in Australia (NSP, primary health care, drop in centre) for 10 years and also have 18 months managing a service providing care coordination for people with multiple and complex problems. I spent two years living and working in Cambodia as a Harm Reduction Advisor for a local Khmer NGO, primarily focusing on methamphetamine use. Now I am back in Australia and have worked in a prison providing drug treatment and currently work as a psychologist in a dual diagnosis service (for people with mental health and substance use problems). I have a Masters in Clinical Psychology so can also answer questions around mental health and drug use. Happy to answer questions about blood borne viruses such as HIV and hepatitis C, questions about opiates, amphetamines, cocaine, benzos and other substances. Questions about treatment (particulary methadone and buprenorphine). Questions about harm reduction and why it is the best approach. I will try to answer questions about drug tests. I DO NOT JUDGE PEOPLE NEGATIVELY DUE TO THEIR DRUG USE, AND DON'T DEMAND PEOPLE MARCH STRAIGHT OFF TO REHAB! If anyone has taken a sip of a coffee, or drunk a beer, then ... well we are all drug users, and I don't think we are going to see an end to it! Deal with the real.

Worked in the field in Australia and Cambodia for 15 years. Psychologist with Clinical Masters. Two significant research projects on drug use (one on HIV risk and its link with trauma and one on drug related stigma). Presentation at two international conferences and two Australian conferences.

Registered as a psychologist with the Australian Health Practitioners Registration Agency.

Conference proceedings - IHRC 2004 (Chiang Mai), 2005 (Melbourne) & 2010 (Bangkok). Anex Conference 2005 (Melbourne) Stigma-Pleasure-Practice conference 2006 (Sydney).

Bachelor of Arts (Humanities), Bachelor of Psychology (Honours), Masters of Psychology (Clinical). And a multitude of training courses including advanced first aid, pre & post test counselling accreditation for HIV, significant amount of training on hepatitis C, etc.

Have presented at international conferences including the International Harm Reduction Conferences in Chiang Mai Thailand; Melbourne, Australia and Bangkok, Thailand. Also national conferences in Sydney and Melbourne Australia.

I maintain confidentiality about my clients.