Addiction to Drugs/Heroin Addiction/Lack of Sexual Desire

My fiance came to me and told me he had been addicted to snorting heroin for about 6-7 months. During those months, even though I didn't know what was going on, our relationship went downhill fast. His sexual desire for me pretty much vanished. Now that he's been clean for about a month, he still doesn't really have any sexual desire at all. I just thought he'd be getting better by now. We haven't messed around in about a month and that's the longest we've ever gone. I'm really struggling with this. How long does it take for heroin addicts to have their sexual drive come back? I'm just so tired of waiting...

Hi Emma.
I apologize for taking so long to respond. Congrats to your fiancÚ for quitting his heroin use. That is not an easy thing to do. Long term use of heroin effects libido and testosterone levels. There is not a set time frame as to when these functions will return to normal. It is important to remember that its not you, his brain needs time to heal. Additionally, the guilt and shame that individuals experience after using drugs effects their sense of self worth and esteem. Drawing attention to the lack of sexual desire compounds these feelings which in turn also effects libido.
I understand this is a frustrating situation for you both, my best advice is to concentrate on healing and the love you have for each other without a concentration on sex. In time he will begin to feel more desirable, his brain will heal, and his sexual desires should return to normal.
Best of luck to you both,

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet

I am qualified to answer questions in all areas of addiction and recovery. If you have a question that I can not answer, I am not afraid to tell you that I do not know, however, I am willing to help you find the answer. I am qualified to assist you with questions asked by the individual who is using drugs or alcohol, as well as questions from concerned friends and family members. I understand the stigmas of this disease and the difficult issues that arise from substance use. I am here to offer guidance and support.

I have worked in the field of substance abuse for 20 years. I have experience working in the areas of inpatient detoxification, outpatient counseling, halfway houses, self help groups, individual, marital and family counseling, drunken driving education, pregnant and parenting programs, and medication assisted treatment. Additionally, I have a strong background in medical issues, psychopharmacology and mental health issues. I believe in individualized treatment which meets the specific needs of each person suffering from the disease of addiction.

I currently hold a Masters Degree in Human Services/Psychology. I am also continuing with a PhD in Counseling Psychology. I am internationally certified as an Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor, and licensed as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor. I am additionally pursuing the credential of a Substance Abuse Professional which will allow me to work with and evaluate individuals who are employed within the D.O.T. system. Lastly, I am a partner in private practice working with individuals who are seeking recovery from addictive disorders.

I have extensive experience working with individuals from all walks of life. I have worked with professionals, community leaders, NFL players, police officers, lawyers, nurses, homeless individuals, the indigent, doctors, and attorneys.