Addiction to Drugs/Important! Lortab addiction/piss test

Question
QUESTION: My boyfriend has had a lortab/opiate addiction on and off for 10 years. He stopped taking lortabs 3 months ago (after weaning himself off, then going through with drawl). About a month ago he went to the hospital complaining of chest pain and told the nurse that he had take lortabs not prescribed to him (but not being completely honest and telling them he was a recovering addict). They gave him a shot for the pain, he says it was "dilaudid". What I really need to know, it with all this information and the fact that he abused opiates on and off for ten years, if he would piss positive for opiates on a drug test i made him take early this morning. On the Internet, it says that opiates stay in your system/urine for 3-4 days and on the information from the test, it say opiates stay in your system/urine for 2-3 days. He swears up and down that he hasn't taken any pills in 3 months, but he's lied to me before in the past about the pills. I'm so confused, I don't know if I should believe my lying boyfriend or the piss test that came back positive.
Please help my confusion if you can....
Thank you sincerely for your time...
Amanda

ANSWER: Amanda,
If you're wondering if the injection the nurse gave him in the hospital a month ago could still be in his system, the answer is NO. If it was an opiate it would have dissipated within 48 hours. In fact, all opiates are out of your system within 48-72 hours UNLESS the patient has taken a long-term or Extended Release type of the drug. To my best knowledge, the exception  would be methadone which lasts longer, but I'm not sure how much longer. Of course, hospitals don't administer methadone for pain; he most likely received Demerol, morphine or possibly Dilauded- all opiates.

I hear a lot of anger and resentment in what you say. You appear to be trying to control the situation, and this is totally UNDERSTANDABLE, however, you must take care of yourself first and foremost before you "lose" yourself. If I advise you to seek out a support group such as Al-Anon or Nar-Anon I would hope that you wouldn't take it the wrong way. These groups are for YOU - anyone trying to live with an addict or alcoholic, whether they are clean and sober or not. And, yes, addicts do lie. It is part of the disease process. You can feel completely at ease to say what you wish in these group meetings, no matter how ugly or angry you feel. You are surrounded by people who are experiencing, or have experienced, what you feel; you would be surprised at some of the horror stories you might hear that would make you feel glad that its not you. I know of where I speak; I once was in a relationship with an addict who refused to get help. I began attending these groups, reluctantly at first. I even was angry, thinking "If it weren't for him I wouldn't have to attend these meetings." However, after the very first meeting I felt like I was part of something. Everyone understood because they were living it. Some were in terrible situations, and needed friends to help them through it. Others had been there for several years, and were taking care of us newcomers. I started out resenting the groups that eventually gave me great support. I, like yourself, was trying to control the situation and the man. It was impossible, but I didn't want to admit it.

I do not mean to lecture, Amanda. I just know where you are coming from and what you are feeling. I know what helped me. These meetings held me up literally. Of course, I didn't stay in the relationship, and that was the best for me. Things get really complicated, and sometimes there are children involved. But, please try to put your needs and wants first. I know you feel as if you are carrying him, and that sucks. We must remember that addicts will get help when they are ready, which usually takes a crisis for them to hit "bottom".

I hope I have helped some. I hope you don't feel I was sticking my nose into your business. I have been there, and I could tell what you were saying from your email. If you wish to get back to me for more information, or just to "spill your guts" then you are welcome to. I welcome any follow up you wish to send in.

QUESTION: So, in your opinion, you think he's lying again?
I was wondering if maybe I could have your email? What you told me has rang true with so many things and what my friends have told me and in some ways it has helped me, but I'm not as strong as I'd like to admit. You, with what you told me, have given me some strength, and I would like to have your help along the way....
Sincerely,
Amanda

Answer
We are discouraged from giving out our personal emails, however, if I can help you I would like to try. I will let you have my email if you promise me you will seek out other help as well. You need personal help, and as much as I'd like to, I cannot act as your sponsor or caregiver. I  really do understand what you are going through. Also, just so you understand, I don't check my emails but once daily, and usually do not check them on weekends. The reason is that my husband is only home on weekends and he wants the computer all to himself. Not fair! But, I let him have his way. At least he isn't an alcoholic or addict! Hee Hee! (No offense meant).

My email is patriciamorrow27@att.net

Addiction to Drugs

Patricia M.