Addiction to Drugs/methadose

Question
My father has post polio syndrome and his disease has progressed ten fold in ten years. He has been going to a pain management clinic for 15 years without any problems. Never a failed drug test. Nothing at all negative. He takes his meds as prescribed.  The problem arose when the Dr he was seeing for the last 15 years suddenly lost his licensed to prescribe narcotics.  My father had no idea this doctor was having any problems legal or otherwise. Now my father is left without a doctor and the few remaining pain doctors in the 100 mile radius are full due to taking on the patients of this doctor who was obviously doing illegal things.  My father is on his 2nd day without methadose, hydrocodone and Valium. He has high blood pressure, he is in his 60's. He is vomiting and he refuses to go to the hospital due to the shame associated due to being considered "addicted".  He is a church going man with TONS of pain.  What are we to do? I truly fear he is going to die.  He is throwing up, having diarrhea, his behavior is oddly mean and rude. He lays in the bed at all times he is not throwing up. How can I save my Dad's life?  I know if he went to the E.R he would get like a weeks worth but my father would rather just die than only get a weeks worth. I'm also afraid of suicide because the withdrwawels along with pain are so bad.  He has medicare and BCBS as a supplement.  His regular PCP can't prescribe this medication.  I'm at a loss.  Any help appreciated.  Thanks very much.

Answer
Hi Tim ,
Your Dad sounds like he is definitely in withdrawal and needs medical attention. I understand the shame he feels, however his body is dependent upon these drugs to function properly. Withdrawal from valium can cause seizures and given his health concerns and age, withdrawal syndrome from any substances can be very dangerous for him.
If he refuses to go to the hospital you may just need to call an ambulance. I understand that his PCP can not prescribe his methadone, however he may be able to help you with a referral to another treatment provider.
I wish you the best during this difficult time.
Sherrie

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet