Addiction to Drugs/Suboxone and Urine Screenings

Hi Sherrie thank you for taking the time to answer this question for me, I was recently put on probation (the charges are stupid and have NOTHING to do with drugs), and I no longer see the doctor I got my painkillers (percocet) from, so I no longer have a valid script. The doctor refused to give me any suboxone so I could get clean, and I would not deal well in a rehab setting, so let's just say I took matters into my own hands. So here is my question/ problem; I have taken 1, 8mg suboxone strip a day for 3 days now, (i lowered my dose each time to wean off) and I have no intention of taking any more, but should I worry about the urine test results coming up positive for suboxone or other opioids? (the tests are random, I am currently waiting for the first one since I took the subs) And also, when a Probation Officer does a urine screening, what drugs do they test for, and how specific are they? I am not trying to "beat my test" I just do not want to get in trouble for suboxone when I was only using it to get clean. I know I should not have done it without a script, but if you have ever been addicted to an opiate, you understand why there was no "cold turkey" for me. Please get back to me asap, and again, this is just information, either way I am done with the drugs and suboxone, and i am not just looking for ways to beat the test. Hope to hear from you soon!

Hi Paul,
Suboxone can stay in the system for several weeks even if small amounts are taken. With respect to what drugs the probation office tests for, that varies by the court system and can also vary by each individual. I can tell you that generally speaking, suboxone is not a drug usually tested for by Probation Officers.
It sounds like you are serious about staying clean, good luck to you, but please try and seek treatment legally if you feel you cant succeed at this time. is a website to help you find local suboxone providers who are certified to write the prescription.
All the best,

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet

I am qualified to answer questions in all areas of addiction and recovery. If you have a question that I can not answer, I am not afraid to tell you that I do not know, however, I am willing to help you find the answer. I am qualified to assist you with questions asked by the individual who is using drugs or alcohol, as well as questions from concerned friends and family members. I understand the stigmas of this disease and the difficult issues that arise from substance use. I am here to offer guidance and support.

I have worked in the field of substance abuse for 20 years. I have experience working in the areas of inpatient detoxification, outpatient counseling, halfway houses, self help groups, individual, marital and family counseling, drunken driving education, pregnant and parenting programs, and medication assisted treatment. Additionally, I have a strong background in medical issues, psychopharmacology and mental health issues. I believe in individualized treatment which meets the specific needs of each person suffering from the disease of addiction.

I currently hold a Masters Degree in Human Services/Psychology. I am also continuing with a PhD in Counseling Psychology. I am internationally certified as an Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor, and licensed as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor. I am additionally pursuing the credential of a Substance Abuse Professional which will allow me to work with and evaluate individuals who are employed within the D.O.T. system. Lastly, I am a partner in private practice working with individuals who are seeking recovery from addictive disorders.

I have extensive experience working with individuals from all walks of life. I have worked with professionals, community leaders, NFL players, police officers, lawyers, nurses, homeless individuals, the indigent, doctors, and attorneys.