Addiction to Drugs/opiate addiction and cheating

About a month ago my wife revealed that she had an addiction to prescription pain pills.  At the same time she revealed that she had been cheating on me multiple times with multiple partners.  Her reasons for cheating had nothing to do with getting the pills.  They were all legal prescriptions written by a doctor.  Is there some connection with the addiction and the cheating besides happening your ability to make good decisions, or is just the type of person who thinks it is ok to act that way.  We had a great family with kids that she loves.

Hi Joe,
Sorry to hear about your wife's illness. Yes, taking pain medications and becoming addicted interferes with the decision making abilities of an individual, The bottom line is that you and your wife need help.  Here are a few websites that can be helpful to you both in getting the help you need. and
Al alon is a group designed specifically to help the family members of someone who has become addicted. I know this is an emotional time for you, but it is important to know that there is help for you both.  The support given to you by an organization such as this or by a counselor who specializes in substance abuse can help you make the best decisions for you and your children.
All the best

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet

I am qualified to answer questions in all areas of addiction and recovery. If you have a question that I can not answer, I am not afraid to tell you that I do not know, however, I am willing to help you find the answer. I am qualified to assist you with questions asked by the individual who is using drugs or alcohol, as well as questions from concerned friends and family members. I understand the stigmas of this disease and the difficult issues that arise from substance use. I am here to offer guidance and support.

I have worked in the field of substance abuse for 20 years. I have experience working in the areas of inpatient detoxification, outpatient counseling, halfway houses, self help groups, individual, marital and family counseling, drunken driving education, pregnant and parenting programs, and medication assisted treatment. Additionally, I have a strong background in medical issues, psychopharmacology and mental health issues. I believe in individualized treatment which meets the specific needs of each person suffering from the disease of addiction.

I currently hold a Masters Degree in Human Services/Psychology. I am also continuing with a PhD in Counseling Psychology. I am internationally certified as an Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor, and licensed as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor. I am additionally pursuing the credential of a Substance Abuse Professional which will allow me to work with and evaluate individuals who are employed within the D.O.T. system. Lastly, I am a partner in private practice working with individuals who are seeking recovery from addictive disorders.

I have extensive experience working with individuals from all walks of life. I have worked with professionals, community leaders, NFL players, police officers, lawyers, nurses, homeless individuals, the indigent, doctors, and attorneys.