Addiction to Drugs/Getting off Tylenol 3

Dear Sherrie,
   I'm a 46 year old recently divorced, mom of 2 grown sons. I think I started taking T3's, when I worked IATA a garden centre. Unloading large trucks, lifting wrong, bending, instead of squatting. All things I can't change now, but if it can help one person save their back, it will be worth it. Also my boys were around the 9lb weight. Ito have yoyo'd with my weight most of my life. I have been taking these pills for probably 5 years now, at first only in the spring when it would never fail, I would lift wrong and through my back out. It took a long time to realize I probably didn't really need them for pain, but just felt the need to have them period. Now I do feel the need to get them out of my life, as I've started a new chapter, and want it to be all it can......without pills. I have found an amazing supportive man, who will help in any way. I now just need a plan. If you could help me, I would be very grateful I so want this stage of my life to be the best yet. Thank-you very much.

Hi Darci,

Sorry for the delay in responding to you. Congratulations on your decision to stop taking the pain pills and seeking help.
A Good place to start would be to consider and explore your treatment options. You can
1. Talk to the prescribing doctor and have him develop a weaning process for you. I would strongly suggest that if you choose this route that you also begin attending Narcotics Anonymous meetings in your area.
2. You can choose to check into a detox/rehab facility which will help you through the medical detox in a shorter amount of time.
3. Seek medication assisted treatment, such as suboxone or methadone, which allows you to remain active in your life while the medication helps with withdrawal symptoms so that you can focus on developing a recovery lifestyle.

Which ever option you choose, I would strongly recommend that you begin seeing a counselor who is trained in addiction to help you develop the skills you will need to remain abstinent. There is a wealth of information available on the internet to help you in your decision making process. You will also find many differing opinions about which treatment options are best. The important thing to remember is to talk with your doctor and make the choices that feel right for YOU.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Good Luck

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet

I am qualified to answer questions in all areas of addiction and recovery. If you have a question that I can not answer, I am not afraid to tell you that I do not know, however, I am willing to help you find the answer. I am qualified to assist you with questions asked by the individual who is using drugs or alcohol, as well as questions from concerned friends and family members. I understand the stigmas of this disease and the difficult issues that arise from substance use. I am here to offer guidance and support.

I have worked in the field of substance abuse for 20 years. I have experience working in the areas of inpatient detoxification, outpatient counseling, halfway houses, self help groups, individual, marital and family counseling, drunken driving education, pregnant and parenting programs, and medication assisted treatment. Additionally, I have a strong background in medical issues, psychopharmacology and mental health issues. I believe in individualized treatment which meets the specific needs of each person suffering from the disease of addiction.

I currently hold a Masters Degree in Human Services/Psychology. I am also continuing with a PhD in Counseling Psychology. I am internationally certified as an Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor, and licensed as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor. I am additionally pursuing the credential of a Substance Abuse Professional which will allow me to work with and evaluate individuals who are employed within the D.O.T. system. Lastly, I am a partner in private practice working with individuals who are seeking recovery from addictive disorders.

I have extensive experience working with individuals from all walks of life. I have worked with professionals, community leaders, NFL players, police officers, lawyers, nurses, homeless individuals, the indigent, doctors, and attorneys.