Addiction to Drugs/Drug Testing

Question
Hi Jacqui, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Recently, I have had a routine drug test for work. I have been taking Tapentadol for about a month now, as a genuine prescription for pain proceeded by surgery.

Tapentadol is a opiod, so, will this show up on my drug test?

Also, is there any way to distinguish between tapentadol, and recreational opiods (like opium)?

Will the drug test be able to determine the amount of medication I take?

Answer
Hi Alaya,

Thanks for your question and I hope you are well.  Tapentadol isn't a drug that I have heard much about so I did a bit of research to find out more about it.  It is a relatively new pain reliever for moderate to severe pain and first came onto the market in the US in 2008 and in Australia in 2010.  It is similar to another medication called tramadol insofar as it binds to opiate receptors and also noradrenaline receptors (although unlike tramadol it appears to bind less strongly to serotonin receptors).  You would need to be mindful of speaking with your GP if you are taking any antidepressants with this drug (as some of them act on noradrenaline receptors also).  It looks like it has been scheduled as an S8 due to concerns about the risks of dependency/misuse.

I am not a fan of drug testing in the work place, unless in roles where there are genuine safety risks (i.e.: airline pilot).  However it does seem to be a thing that employers like to know about.  Given that it is a relatively new drug it doesn't appear that it will show up on standard workplace drug screening and from the information I could get, they would have to pay for a separate test.  However, I don't know the kinds of tests your employer is using, so anything is possible.  Generally the standard tests that are used have a category called "opioids" and if picked up, it would show up as a "positive" in this category.  Usually they then do a futher test to see what kind of metabolites are in the urine which can indicate the type of substance used; tapentadol results in N-desmethyltapentadol metabolites which would have to be interpreted by a pharmacist of medical practitioner with knowledge in the area.  Other opiates metabolise as morphine or codeine metabolites and the fact that it doesn't come up as either of these makes me think that they won't find it - but I am not a pharmacist so keep that in mind.  Drugs like heroin show different metabolites over time, but it can read as morphine, codeine, etc.  You could get ready for the potential of a positive test by seeing your prescriber and asking her/him to write a letter stating that you are on it for medical reasons, then if you don't need the letter you can just hang onto it in case.  In answer to the last part of your question, to detect the amount you are using they would need to order another quantitative test and I doubt an employer would have access to this.  It seems very specialised.  The 'half-life' of this drug is fairly short also (although there is a sustained release version which would be longer acting), and I could only find one bit of information about how long it would last and that suggested approximately one day - although this was via a drug forum not a research website.

It is good to be mindful that this medication is likely to cause dependency in long term use which means you would have to be weaned off it.  If a medical practitioner has decided you need it they will have hopefully weighed up the pros and cons of this and decided that the benefits outweigh the risks, but still worth thinking about, especially if you have ever previously had a substance use problem.

Anyway, good luck!  And please don't hesitate to let me know if I can help with anything else.

Take care

Jacqui  

Addiction to Drugs

Jacqui