Addiction to Drugs/Ativan Withdrawal- What to Expect?

Question
QUESTION: My friend is currently on Zoloft (not sure of the amount, but I can find out if relevant) and .5mg of ativan, 3 times a day,  to control her anxiety.  The ativan was prescribed as she is breastfeeding, and her doctor's preferred prescription of Buspar doesn't jive with that.

Her mental health facility is a nightmare. They sent her a warning that if she doesn't make an appointment with the therapist within a certain time, the psychiatrist will drop her. Unfortunately, the therapist has not had any openings to fulfill the required visit. She is almost out of Ativan, and of course, because she has built a tolerance, they aren't working for her anyway. Her psychiatrist won't be available until Thursday (which she was told is also a big maybe), and apparently, whoever she is able to speak to refuses to bring an available psychologist in.

She is currently shopping for new mental health professionals, but in the meantime, she is afraid of the withdrawal symptoms she might experience. She's already extremely irritable, and is afraid of more severe symptoms, especially while caring for her breastfeeding child.

What kind of withdrawal can she expect from going from 1.5mg ativan a day to zero (cold turkey)? How worried should she be?

ANSWER: Hi Jess, If she has any Ativan left, she should try to stretch it out as much as possible, to lessen withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal from Benzodiazepines can be very dangerous as there is potential for seizures.
Some of the symptoms she might experience are difficulty sleeping, irritability, increased anxiety, panic attacks, hand tremor, sweating, difficulty concentrating, confusion and memory/thinking problems, nausea, headache, muscle pain and stiffness.
The symptoms of withdrawal can begin suddenly, however tend to be prolonged.
My recommendation is that she seek help at her local emergency room or family doctor if she becomes very ill.
Lastly, I would also recommend that she seek assistance from a behavioral therapist who could assist her with developing better coping skills for dealing with stress and anxiety without potentially dangerous and addictive medications. The goal being, for your friend and her nursing baby, to be as healthy as possible.
Good Luck to you both, and please seek medical attention if you have any concerns about her condition.
Sherrie

QUESTION: Thank you for such a quick response...

Is it relevant that she has only been on it twice a day for 6 weeks, then very recently brought it up to 3 times a day? She only has 3 pills  (.5mg) left.

Answer
Yes, hopefully she has not had time to develop much of a dependency and her symptoms will be minimal. However, I do not want to underestimate the dangers of medications like this. It is important that she seeks medical attention if she or the baby begin to show any signs of unmanageable distress.

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet