Addiction to Drugs/addiction


My granddaughter is 21 years old has a daughter 3 and half years old she is paid child support but spends it on drugs ext.She is addicted to this spice stuff i know she loves  her little girl but the addiction is taking over her life ,lies to me with every breath has stolen from me ext.but still days she doesnt have a problem ,sad thing is she really doesnt have anything except her little girl no education to speak of her mom which is also an addict will supply her If all el se fails i myself will ONLY do for the baby but she knows im Not going to let the baby do without so she doesnt try to supply  for her this girl needs help really bad but i dont know how to help her no money and dont know what to do about her mom giving it to her i feel help less,the dad of the little one is no better bit does pay but on drugs they just think it nothing,PLEASE HELP

Hi Mary,

It is so hard to watch people that you love suffer from addiction.  It is a disease which effects not only the person using the drugs but everyone around them gets hurt as well. You are absolutely right, to withhold money from her at this time. The hard part is making sure that her baby has everything she needs with out enabling Mom.
If you are very concerned about the babies welfare, you can call child protective services. This call can be made anonymously, so she will never know that you filed the report. Making this call does not mean that her baby will become a ward of the state. They can help your granddaughter get the help she needs, or place the baby in the custody of yourself or another family member, until she does.
I would also encourage you to join a group called al-anon. This organization is specifically set up for the family members of those who abuse drugs or alcohol. The groups are free and you will find the help and support you need. You can find a group in your area by searching
Good Luck to you and and your family Mary.

Addiction to Drugs

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Sherrie Sweet


I am qualified to answer questions in all areas of addiction and recovery. If you have a question that I can not answer, I am not afraid to tell you that I do not know, however, I am willing to help you find the answer. I am qualified to assist you with questions asked by the individual who is using drugs or alcohol, as well as questions from concerned friends and family members. I understand the stigmas of this disease and the difficult issues that arise from substance use. I am here to offer guidance and support.


I have worked in the field of substance abuse for 20 years. I have experience working in the areas of inpatient detoxification, outpatient counseling, halfway houses, self help groups, individual, marital and family counseling, drunken driving education, pregnant and parenting programs, and medication assisted treatment. Additionally, I have a strong background in medical issues, psychopharmacology and mental health issues. I believe in individualized treatment which meets the specific needs of each person suffering from the disease of addiction.

I currently hold a Masters Degree in Human Services/Psychology. I am also continuing with a PhD in Counseling Psychology. I am internationally certified as an Alcohol and Drug Abuse Counselor, and licensed as an Alcohol and Drug Counselor. I am additionally pursuing the credential of a Substance Abuse Professional which will allow me to work with and evaluate individuals who are employed within the D.O.T. system. Lastly, I am a partner in private practice working with individuals who are seeking recovery from addictive disorders.

Past/Present Clients
I have extensive experience working with individuals from all walks of life. I have worked with professionals, community leaders, NFL players, police officers, lawyers, nurses, homeless individuals, the indigent, doctors, and attorneys.

©2017 All rights reserved.