Addiction to Drugs/Is he using?

Question
Hello,
My boyfriend of 1 year is a cocaine and heroin user in recovery.  Last week, i found some red pills and questioned him about them.  He told me they were the over the counter diet pills Hydroxycut.  Am i being stupid for thinking that he's on a slippery slope? He told me he takes them as an energy boost.... I'm worried.
Thanks

Answer
Hi Joanne,
No you are not stupid for thinking he is on a slippery slope. Anyone taking a "medication" being over the counter or otherwise to self medicate, is an issue. It is important to remember that in recovery, it is imperative to remain abstinent from all mind altering substances. Cross addiction is very real, meaning that the addicted brain has a drug of choice, but will take what ever it can get. The Hydroxycut is a stimulant like cocaine.
Speak with your boyfriend about your concerns. Exercise or diet improvements, as well as adequate sleep can help improve his energy levels. Or he may need to see his doctor if he feels there may be a biological cause for his lack of energy. If he attends meetings or sees a counselor, this would be the time to increase the frequency of visits for support and help in developing healthy coping skills.
Al-Anon is a group for the loved ones of those in recovery, I encourage you to find a meeting in your area for your own support and to increase your understanding of this disease.
Good Luck to you both
Sherrie

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet