Addiction to Drugs/Petrcocet questio

Question

I have an ongoing lower back problem. Its not a disk issue, but seems more like strain or tendons right across the lower back, right around sacroilliac. Numerous steroid shots from an excellent pain management doc have unfortunately not worked.

Lately, it flared up again while I was beinding down (stupid of me....). I just got some percocet prescribed. I work in an Office and am at the computer. Sitting is really bad to the point where it affects my concentration sometimes. Last Thursday and Friday I just took one percocet during the day, which really, really helps and lets me do my work. Ideally, I'd just like to take one per day in the same fashion so I can work. I am paranoid though about getting addicted, although I have no history of addiction of any kind.

As a general principle, if I take percocet once per day, Monday - Friday, how long could I do this and feel relatively confident I would not become dependent? I am a 46 year old male, 6"0 around 165lbs and otherwise in perfect health. I realize issues of dependency are different for each person, and maybe I am being a bit paranoid here, but just thought it prudent to get some advice.

Thank you!

Answer
Craig,
It is definitely different for each person, but if you only take one tablet per day for work, it would take you a long time to become "tolerant" to it, even though Percocet is a Class II controlled drug. In fact, it may even be advisable  for the pain mgmt doctors to prescribe it for you. When a person has no history of addiction and are prescribed narcotics for long-term use, they may become tolerant, but it takes much longer since you are not using this pain as an excuse to obtain narcotics. Keep in mind that you would need to provide a copy of your Rx in case you are given a random urine screen. I hope that your pain management clinic is aware that the Percocet helped you so much. You can just say to them, as you did to me, that the pain "affected your concentration". It is possible they may try you on a less strong drug such as Lortab or Vicodin, and you could try that, but if you found the Percocet working well, and promise to use it only once a day during working hours, it seems very appropriate for your pain. You could add ibuprofen also, since Percocet contains acetaminophen, and perhaps they could even prescribe a muscle relaxant to use at NIGHT due to the extreme drowsiness. An excellent one is Zanaflex. I hope you don't have a problem driving a car while using the Percocet.
If I can help further let me know.

Addiction to Drugs

Patricia M.