Addiction to Drugs/please daignose my problem

please help, i am stuck from past five years, trying to quit cold turkey weed and cigarettes…please help me in diagnosis of my mental disorder, asking here because it is the closest i have got while surfing. see when i plan to have my last cigarette bfore that i must have my last hashish cigareete, this is just the start and the tip of my ice berg, on the last puff, it should be strongest, time on the clock should not be perfect, date should be not some renowed day, these preferences keep changing as if i keep making excuses, and numerous such factors, meaningless things to a sane person and then inevitable i start smoking again, i must also do all the drugs codeine, xanax etc so that i start improving from a dreadful condition, plz dont laugh at me, and worst of all my only aim has been in this precious time of my life is to succeedd at that last puff,,, what a pity…please suggest slosest termof my mental disorder so that i can follow,kindly pardon spelling mistakes

Hi Wasim,

I would never laugh at someone on this site.  People ask questions because they need help.  Unfortunately, however, it would not be appropriate for me to make any kind of diagnosis regarding mental health over the Internet.  What I can do is link you with some information about mental health and also suggest that you make contact with someone who can see you in person.  

People use substances for a range of reasons and if it causing you distress it may be because you are using to help you cope with a problem.  In people who have problems with alcohol or other drugs it is not so uncommon for them to have an anxiety disorder, depression or even more serious problems like schizophrenia (although this is less common).  Although no one should diagnose themselves from what they read, it can sometimes be helpful to read about the symptoms of mental illness to see if anything seems familiar.  Below I have put some links for you:

All of the links above are excellent websites from Australia.  

I also wonder if you have any friends you can talk to?  Ideally though, if you are worried you have a mental health problem you would see a doctor.

I am sorry I can't be more specific to your particular problem, but I am happy to answer any other general questions that you might have.

Take care,

Addiction to Drugs

I am a psychologist committed to Harm reduction, a philosophy that acknowledges people will continue to use drugs despite all of the effort put into stopping it (case in point - US government drug war ... trillions of dollars spent fighting and more people using). I advocate to support people who use drugs by reducing the harms associated with their use through needle and syringe programs (NSP), advocating for drug law reform, non-judgmental health services and reducing the stigma associated with drugs. I have worked in harm reduction in Australia (NSP, primary health care, drop in centre) for 10 years and also have 18 months managing a service providing care coordination for people with multiple and complex problems. I spent two years living and working in Cambodia as a Harm Reduction Advisor for a local Khmer NGO, primarily focusing on methamphetamine use. Now I am back in Australia and have worked in a prison providing drug treatment and currently work as a psychologist in a dual diagnosis service (for people with mental health and substance use problems). I have a Masters in Clinical Psychology so can also answer questions around mental health and drug use. Happy to answer questions about blood borne viruses such as HIV and hepatitis C, questions about opiates, amphetamines, cocaine, benzos and other substances. Questions about treatment (particulary methadone and buprenorphine). Questions about harm reduction and why it is the best approach. I will try to answer questions about drug tests. I DO NOT JUDGE PEOPLE NEGATIVELY DUE TO THEIR DRUG USE, AND DON'T DEMAND PEOPLE MARCH STRAIGHT OFF TO REHAB! If anyone has taken a sip of a coffee, or drunk a beer, then ... well we are all drug users, and I don't think we are going to see an end to it! Deal with the real.

Worked in the field in Australia and Cambodia for 15 years. Psychologist with Clinical Masters. Two significant research projects on drug use (one on HIV risk and its link with trauma and one on drug related stigma). Presentation at two international conferences and two Australian conferences.

Registered as a psychologist with the Australian Health Practitioners Registration Agency.

Conference proceedings - IHRC 2004 (Chiang Mai), 2005 (Melbourne) & 2010 (Bangkok). Anex Conference 2005 (Melbourne) Stigma-Pleasure-Practice conference 2006 (Sydney).

Bachelor of Arts (Humanities), Bachelor of Psychology (Honours), Masters of Psychology (Clinical). And a multitude of training courses including advanced first aid, pre & post test counselling accreditation for HIV, significant amount of training on hepatitis C, etc.

Have presented at international conferences including the International Harm Reduction Conferences in Chiang Mai Thailand; Melbourne, Australia and Bangkok, Thailand. Also national conferences in Sydney and Melbourne Australia.

I maintain confidentiality about my clients.