Addiction to Drugs/Huffing

Question
Hello,

In the past two weeks, I've recently relapsed and begun huffing and cutting again. Before this relapse I had huffed hairspray. This time, I huffed nail polish, dry shampoo, lysol, and an empty can of silly string. After huffing, I felt dizzy and about an hour later I had a severe migraine. Is this normal? Do you know of any programs that could help with my problem?

Thank you,

Faith

Answer
HI Faith,

Thanks for your question and I hope you are okay.  Huffing, or inhaling volatile substances, has quite a lot of risks involved.  The chemicals themselves can cause problems and there is risks associated with respiratory problems.  In rare cases, people can have cardiac arrests while inhaling.  

There are some ways that you can minimize the harms associated with inhaling, but it is always going to have quite a few risks involved.  These substances aren't drugs, so they aren't meant to be ingested into the body.  Some people use only certain types of substances, such as glue, although this was a few years ago and the chemical composition of these substances might have changed.  There are some key ways that you can reduce some of the risks and I have put a link to a good Australian site below which has some information:

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/information-for/staying-safe-if-you-re-sniffing-o

There is also an Irish site called Re-Solv, although it is less focused on reducing harms, but still worth having a look.

http://www.re-solv.org

Re-solv also have an online help option.  I don't know if this will be limited to their country (but you don't need to tell them where you are just to get some info ...)

There are lots of reasons people use substances and human have been doing so for a long time.  When it becomes something that you do to the detriment of your health or wellbeing it can become a problem.  I don't know if there are any specific inhalant programs where you live, but I would suggest linking in to talk to someone.  I am in Australia and we have a good public health system were people can see a psychologist without having to pay a lot.  I don't know if that is possible in America however  Are there any other issues that are affecting you?  You sound like a pretty bright woman and I wonder if there are other things in your life that are causing you difficulty.  

There are a few key things you can try in the short term.  Distraction is a great idea.  If you feel like you are going to use, take some time out.  Go for a walk outside, go for a drive, go and visit someone. If you feel overwhelmed or stressed, take some time to stop and do some slow breathing exercises.  

Don't hesitate to reply to this message if you need any further assistance

Addiction to Drugs

Jacqui