Addiction to Drugs/ex-bf/good friend addicted to pain killers

Question
I entered into a relationship with this really amazing guy. We were best friends and had this amazing relationship. We really wanted to get married and spend the rest of our lives together.

Soon things changed. He became more distant and it seemed like he was always feeling down. He was always sick and told me the reason he was sick was because he may of just been worrying too much which wasn't exactly truthful. He later admits to me he has an addiction to pain killer drugs. He said he had been on and off for years and had recently went back to it since a lot of tough things had been going on.. his brother attempted suicide and his parents were going through a tough divorce.

He told me I couldn't put my life on hold for him. That I needed to date other people. He said he loved me and he felt to really love me he needed to be done with his addiction and let me go for now. He said he is going to do some work so that in the future he might be able to be with me again.

My question is how long will it be before he is ready for a relationship again in your opinion?

I told him I would always be there for him. We agreed for being friends and would text here and there. Recently we stopped talking because it just become too hard. We still have all of these feelings for each other so it is hard to just be friends.

Sorry that was a lot of information. I also realize you may be no relationship coach but I also wonder what role can I best play to help him? Do I back out of his life or stay as a supportive friend in contact?

Thanks,
Bri

Answer
Hi Bri,
Watching someone you love struggle with addiction is so difficult. If you choose to remain a supportive friend my suggestion would be to seek out an al-anon group in your area. These free support groups are for the friends and family of those suffering with addition. Learning how to support him while balancing that with boundaries can be very tricky. You can find These groups by searching alanon.org
To answer your question regarding time, it is generally believed that some one in recovery avoid relationships until they have achieved at least a year of sobriety and is actively involved in a recovery program.
I hope this was helpful to you.
Sherrie

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet