Addiction to Drugs/Tobacco Addiction - How to stop?

Question
Hi Doctor,

Iam Sudha from Coimbatore, India. My husband is a tobacco consumer (brand:pan parag). He wants to quit the habit of in-taking it. How to do that?

Also if I want to check if he has affected with tobacco consuming all this years, how to check that? Which specialist doctor I have to consult? What is the examination procedure?

Please reply and guide me, doctor.

Thanks
Sudha

Answer
Hi Sudha,

I am not aware of the resources available in India for tobacco cessation. It is wonderful that he wants to quit. My advice would be to consult with his primary care doctor to learn more about local support services and/or medications to help him quit. His doctor can also order chest x-rays and any other examinations he feels necessary to determine how tobacco use may have effected your husbands lungs or heart.

As you know, tobacco use is dangerous and the sooner he stops the better his health will improve. I hope this information was helpful to you.

Congratulations to your husband for his decision to stop and best wishes to you both.

Sherrie

Addiction to Drugs

Sherrie Sweet