Adobe Framemaker/Translating cross-references in FM10

Question
Hello Mr. Wayne,

I have a project done in FM10 by a company. They want it translated into several languages. The translation agency I am collaborating sent me the book to prepare it for translation. Therefore I had created MIF files after each *.fm file. They are using DJVX for translating. One option they have when import the MIF files into that software is whether to ignore or not the cross-references during the translation process.

First test we made was NOT to ignore. In that case the translator had to double check the file with a PDF I've created based on the original document looking for each references correspondent. The files came back to me with all cross-references translated but they had to be manually updated because FM 10 cannot locate the corespondent heading.

We did not test the other option. Not yet. However, my question is whether is appropriate to translate the cross-references? Why FM10 cannot update them automatically?

I really hope that any of these make any sense. I appreciate the time you will spend reading this and perhaps answering to it.

Sincerely yours,
Sebastian

Answer
Sebastian
If you are leaving the files in a Framemaker format why are you converting it to a .mif, why not just leave the files as .fm.
The cross-reference problem is probably because, of the file name change from .fm to .mif. The original cross-references are probably looking for a .fm file and not a .mif file.

Sorry, but I have no experience with the DJVX program.

Regards, Wayne

Adobe Framemaker

Wayne Johnson