Adobe Framemaker/Saving Book versions

QUESTION: Hi, I'm trying to save a book file as a new book file with another name. I do this in Word all the time, just rename it and start another file. But Framemaker overwrites my previous book with the edits I make to the "new" renamed file. Brilliant.
How do I save an old book (which I'd like to use as a template) without wiping my old file, which I don't want to lose?
I've researched this and find recommendations to save as a MIF, is there another way, or is that it?

ANSWER: Larry - I am a little confused, in your description are you using BOOKS or FILES.

You can open a new BLANK document and do an IMPORT FORMATS. Go to FILE - IMPORT - IMPORT FORMATS. Both files have to be open, (i.e. your new "blank document" and the file you want to import the formats from, then give it a name like XXXXXRev1 or whatever naming style you chose.

If you want to compare your two files then use the COMPARE Function: FROM the Menu Bar - Select FILES - UTILITIES - COMPARE.

The results will give a composite of both documents.

If this hasn't answered your question, please ask again.

Please clearly define if you are working with a Frame Book or a Frame File.
Regards, Wayne

QUESTION: Hi, thanks for your quick, helpful answer. I am working with books and I realize they're made up of files and how to import formats. But there are titles, introductory matter, and a cover page I'd like to use as a template for new release note "books" every month.
I've been using "save book as" a later version book and it writes over my previous main text file (part of the book, I understand). Do I need to rename all the separate files of the book separately too?
Is there a way to "save book as" a new book that I can edit and leave the old book alone?
Basically, I'm on version 18.01 and I want to build version 18.02 from it without losing or changing v18.01. I already back them up as PDFs.
Thanks, Larry

Larry - What I do is copy and paste the folder with the book and files and give it a new name.
If you have a Folder for your basic document, (i.e. Company Manuals), then just copy the folder and paste it inside of the Company Manuals folder, with the new name. Then you will have your book generated documents there also, (ie. table of contents, index, etc.). Now you can open the Table of Contents and edit it to the format you want.
The other thing you could try is using Conditional Text, and do a view and hide function, (I have found this too cumbersome for my projects).
If you want just different page layouts you can try using different MASTER PAGE formats and then apply the Master Page you want to use.

Company Manuals
   Version 1
   Version 2
Hope this helps you

Adobe Framemaker

Wayne Johnson

Basic set-up of books, master pages, generation of List of Effective pages (LEP), Indexing, auto-numbering. Various ways to import graphics, including advantages and disadvantages of importing into a text frame or importing into a "blank" page. Using a "book" to generate PDF files, with hyperlinking. Customization of function keys, currently setup for Frame 7.0 i.e. change F1 to turn "Change bar" On and Off, F2 to "Cut" a selection, F3 to copy, F4 to Paste, F6 to set line to "TOP OF PAGE" and Shift F6 to start line "anywhere" these can be easily your current config files and if you do not like them - old config files can be restored. I have no expertise in Structured Framemaker, (i.e. XML or SGML).

10 years working with Framemaker, all version through Version 7.0
Primarily writing to Aviation ATA spec 100. Currently responsible for maintaining all company published maintenance documents in Framemaker and PDF and making them accessible through the company intranet.