Adobe Framemaker/Simplified Chinese index

index after update
index after update  

reference page index
reference page index  
Generating an index in a Chinese translation book file results in ???? replacing characters in the index. I believe index sort order might be a problem (sort order isn't properly specified and FrameMaker gets confused), but I'm not entirely sure. It looks like sort order in this document is specified as <$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics>. Do you know why the question marks, and the best way to sort a Chinese index?

Norah - Sorry I can not help you because I don't know anything about simplified Chinese.

You might try the following Adobe help file:

It had some suggestions on why ??? appear.

Regards, Wayne

Adobe Framemaker

Wayne Johnson

Basic set-up of books, master pages, generation of List of Effective pages (LEP), Indexing, auto-numbering. Various ways to import graphics, including advantages and disadvantages of importing into a text frame or importing into a "blank" page. Using a "book" to generate PDF files, with hyperlinking. Customization of function keys, currently setup for Frame 7.0 i.e. change F1 to turn "Change bar" On and Off, F2 to "Cut" a selection, F3 to copy, F4 to Paste, F6 to set line to "TOP OF PAGE" and Shift F6 to start line "anywhere" these can be easily your current config files and if you do not like them - old config files can be restored. I have no expertise in Structured Framemaker, (i.e. XML or SGML).

10 years working with Framemaker, all version through Version 7.0
Primarily writing to Aviation ATA spec 100. Currently responsible for maintaining all company published maintenance documents in Framemaker and PDF and making them accessible through the company intranet.