Adobe Illustrator/Illustrator cs6

QUESTION: When attempting to place a tiff image in an .ai file the msg. "file not readable" appears. I am able to open the file in photoShop, and have attempted to place several files of the same type and receive the same msg. each time. I have placed these images in earlier versions illustrator 10 and CS2 with no problem. Is there some setting in cs6 which needs to be changes? Also, the problem does not occur with all Tiff images. I was able to place an aerial image saved as a geoTiff and register it using the Avenza MaPublisher Plug-in. (BTW - the Tiffs generating error msg. are also GeoTiffs)

ANSWER: Hi Cynthia,

Have you purchased the latest version of the Avenza plug in? It has an update for CS6 that is required for CS6 when using geotiff files.

QUESTION: Yes - actually have downloaded the most recent 14 day trial ver. from Avenza site (we are testing out a new PC for our office). Is there a possibility the trial ver does not have this capability? We have Avenza maintenane lic. but have not transferred from current PC to test PC and as said am using trial version did not install "full" version of maPublisher -.

Hi Cynthia

A couple of ideas come to mind when you said you have a couple of licenses. Try using this with the full maintenance license instead of trial first, but if you have multiple versions floating around it could be causing a conflict with the app or the files.

Other than that it really has to do with the plugins and not AI so I hope that Avenza has some support or customer service with your full license plan.

I wish you luck and hope I have been somewhat helpful.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World