Adobe Illustrator/Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro

QUESTION: Hi Kevin, I have converted a PDF in Acrobat to grayscale using Preflight option. Looks great except the gray is a few shades too dark. Is there a way to lighten up the gray?

ANSWER: Hi Shelly,

You should be able to change the output targets in (advanced>print production>convert colors) to something lighter. Not being sure what you are looking for you can try perhaps a different gamma profile.

QUESTION: It it is an XL file that I made into a PDF. Stock numbers, prices etc. Every other line is a gray background with the item number in a blue background. So under convert colors, where please do I change the gamma profile.

Thanks again

If the Excel file already has grayscale, it is going to be difficult to modify the results since lightening the grayscale in Acrobat will also lighten the rest of the sheet, so the relationship remains. You cannot adjust just one color in here. You should adjust in excel. If you just need to lighten the output, Choose Advanced > Print Production > Convert Colors, then under Attributes, choose Conversion Profile and pick a grayscale profile (for example, one of the Dot Gain or Gray Gamma profiles). Click OK.  

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World