Adobe Illustrator/Illustrator CS6 - Save for Web & Devices

Just curious:   After utilizing the "Save for Web & Devices" feature I notice that my original .ai file is marked as "changed" (black dot in red circle).  Why is that?  Is the .ai file altered in some way?  Should I close the .ai file without saving just to be safe?  

And, if I have an .ai file with both graphical elements as well as embedded photos from Photoshop, what is the best file type (.png or .jpg) and resolution (.png 8 or 24/.jpg low-med-high) to use if I intend to send the image via email?

Thanks in advance!  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi Cheryl,

The marked file is just indicating that you have changed the save for web settings. It's ok to save after that if you wish to keep them. Otherwise just close out your doc.

If you are saving just for email and not printing, I would save out as a JPG Max quality. You can lower the quality settings while viewing in the two up mode to assure quality vs size. if there are transparent objects or background use PNG-24 to support that.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World