Adobe Illustrator/Cant open the illustration

Hard Drive 250gm, Macbook (white plastic 2010 13 inch) 4gb Ram

Hello, I have spent a couple of valuable days working on this file,  and it has suddenly decided to corrupt. It was a time lapse diagram, with about 1 or 200 small vector symbols. I tried to move all of them up on the page, a few times, but i dont think anything happened. Well something did, because it managed to corrupt the file as i was pressing cmd + up to move quicker with ALL of the symbols selected. During this, i panicked and thought that it would crash, so i saved the file while it was being confused. Now i am stuck with a preview image of the file that has the whole thing blurred upwards a few pixels. The file has vastly multiplied tin size to 96mb! At first i tried to open it it came up with not enough Ram, so i closed all other programmes and tried again, now it just says, 'can't open illustration" .

If i could get some help or advice soon on what to do this would be to helpful and would appreciate it endlessly!

Best regards, Max

Hi Max

Unfortunately it sounds like the file is shot. But there are a few things to try.

First the reason this happened. If your file had 200 symbols/images in it that is quite a lot and with the limited RAM installed Illustrator choked. If you plan to do this again, you may need to use another computer or install more RAM (8 gigs is preferred).

Next try restarting your computer, then reset Illustrator. To do this hold shift+opt+cmd during app startup before the startup screen shows up.

Then open the file through Illustrator (not double clicking the icon). If you get it open immediately go to View>Outline and then file save as an eps file format.

If the file cannot open at all, it could be totally corrupt. Unfortunately saving when experiencing issues can cause this easily.

I wish I had better news or an easier solution.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World