Adobe Illustrator/Clipping Masks/pngs

Question
clipping masks
clipping masks  
This is tough to explain, but here goes...

Say I have a template for say a snowmobile hood (graphics) and I am designing them.  

First I design everything and place all the layers below my template (which is a eps. of a hood of  sled)  I then go OBJECT then COMPOUND PATH then MAKE.  then I grab all the layers and create a clipping mask...all super duper until I decide to move all the parts around to fit them on to say a 4'x5' board for vinyl printing.  I have figured out just simply to crop it but sometimes (almost every) I lose all my effects... but now I have a different problem.  I have a picture of a guys GF he wants on the side of his sled wrap and when I clip the wrap with the png in it it works perfectly but when I crop the png drops to the bottom layer and reappears and un clipped with the rest of the clipping mask....I am lost as to why this does this.  would it be easier to do this in Ps?  I can create all the art in Ai then drag it into Ps but even with 16gb of Ram on my laptop sometimes it freezes on me.  I hope you can somewhat understand what I am try to explain!  

Thank you very much Jesse

Answer
Hi Jesse,

Two simple solutions. A better way to create a clipping mask is to use your layers panel to do so. With complex images like you are describing the object money just won't work well. To do this place all your art in a layer and then add your hood outline as the top image in the layer. Then click the clipping mask button at the bottom of re layers panel.

Second if you want to add things to PS do not drag and drop or copy/paste. Go the PS and use file>place.

Thanks

Kevin

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer