Adobe Illustrator/Illustrator CS5: How to Reduce File Size

Question
QUESTION: Hello Mr.Kevin Stohlmeyer,

Perhaps, this subject has made you grunt as I can imagine people asking you this question so many times.
But I would like to ask for your aide.  I just began using Adobe Illustrator CS5, so my knowledge is still very limited and there are so many technical terms that I don't quite understand. I would like to know how I can keep my illustrator file(.ai) as small as possible while working .... I have researched for an answer, but I am seeing many opinions and I cannot decide what is a correct way to do.

I am currently working on a project (an advertisement for a company, which will later be press-printed), but the file is bloated up close to 300 MB. This contains 6 embedded print-quality (300 dpi) Jpeg files, stylized effects (drop shadows), and shaped objects.  

Could you please tell me how I can reduce the file size?
The project will be printed (press)in the end, and I don't want to end up making a large PDF files for printers.  

Thank you very much!
-Yuko

ANSWER: Hi Yuko,

Your embedded Jpg files are what is causing the issue. However a large AI file is not an issue. When you send this to a printer you will send them a PDF X1a file which will reduce the file size. You wouldnt send the printer the AI file. Unfortunately Illustrator is not a page layout program and is not efficient with managing images like this. InDesign would work much more efficiently. There really isn't anything you can do to reduce file size without sacrificing print quality.

Thanks

Kevin

QUESTION: Hello,

Thank you very much for such a quick response.
So, if I instead choose to embed (<if I need to), I should instead use Photoshop files or Esp files?
What are some additional procedures that may help reduce the sizes?
(flattening transparency, etc...)
Is it generally considered a good idea not to embed the images while working (and only embed when finalizing for PDFs...?)

I am sorry for the additional questions, but I greatly appreciate your response!! Thank you.

Answer
Hi Yuko,

If you choose to use linked jpg files instead of embedded that will reduce your file size. I never use embedded files. Creating the PDF will automatically embed them into the PDF so you never have to have them in your AI file except as linked images.

Again there really aren't any "procedures" to reducing your file size without losing the quality for print. If you flatten your transparency you will also loose all editability which is a very bad thing.

What you have to understand is the AI file size is not really an issue. If you link the jpg images (use JPG not PS or EPS) it will reduce the size dramatically. However, since you are giving your printer a PDF, that is what you should be concerned with, not the Illustrator file. There is nothing wrong with this and any attempt to reduce the file size (with the exception of linking the images) will DAMAGE your file.

Trust me, I have had clients come to me after researching how to "reduce file size" and have tried the "procedures" you are suggesting. The end result is an unusable AI file when it came to edit or reuse the assets. In the end, they ended up having to redo the entire piece.

Thanks

Kevin

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer