Adobe Illustrator/Thick 'line' drawing that has no stroke options

I have a 'line' drawing of a hand that has very thick 'lines'.  I simply want to make the lines thinner.  The reason I have the word 'lines' in quotes is because if it was truly a line drawing, all I would have to do is change the line's stroke to a smaller value.  The problem is, they're apparently not lines.  It's a drawing with a ton of little blue dots around it that can be moved individually, which distorts the image, but I don't see anyway to leave the drawing intact while thinning out the lines.  Can you help?

Hi Katie

Unfortunately from your description it appears that this is a live trace drawing and is shapes. You could try using Object>Path>Simplify to reduce the number of points making it easier to reshape. You could also just try putting a white stroke on it making it appear thinner.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World