Adobe Illustrator/Appearance panel out of sync with object

Question
Appearance Panel not reflecting object current attributes
Appearance Panel not r  
I can't figure out how to get the appearance panel to reflect the current styling of strokes with an art brush applied.

I have objects that I've restyled (in the current case using art brushes), but while they look one way, they seem to invisibly retain their earlier styling. For example, one has a black art brush stroke applied, but in the appearance panel, it's previous red stroke color and thickness characteristics remain. And if I use the eyedropper on it to try to style another stroke to match its current black art brush stroke appearance, the new stroke instead gets the styling shown in the appearance panel, e.g., a red stroke.

Is this normal, or is my Illustrator install misbehaving?

Answer
Hi Allen,

This is a normal situation.

There are many levels of appearances when it comes to objects. There is your object (or group, compound path, etc.) appearance and then the individual path appearance. I see this issue more with text dealing text and character appearances, but this appears to be the same issue.

Try selecting your object with the selection tool first and see what the appearance is. Then deselect and try with the direct select tool. I'm guessing without knowing how this was built that the brush setting applied to the object or group OVER the original path settings. You just have to recreate the selection you had when applying the brush.

As for the eyedropper  it will always apply whatever is in the appearance panel.

Thanks

Kevin

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer