Adobe Illustrator/Illustrator CS6 - Pathfinder Union Tool

For some reason when I UNION objects with the pathfinder and add a stroke it screws up the original image, as if some of the points start shifting.

I will increase the point size and it just shifts more and more.  Its only when I union a group of objects then turn them into a compound path....

Please help!! Its driving me crazy! Ive been designing for over 12 years now and never had this problem.  I also, restarted my whole computer....
Thanks much!

ANSWER: Hi Andrea,

This is a new one to me and there are no known issues regarding this function.

The points can't shift from running union from the Pathfinder panel, even if you keep it as a compound path. The stroke weight will increase the size of the object but not move the paths. But I'm sure you know all this already.

My best advice is to reset your AI preferences, restarting your computer wont do anything.

Hold Shift+Ctrl+Alt (win) or Shift+Cmd+Opt (Mac) as soon as you start up the app, before the startup screen shows up. It will reset your prefs and hopefully take care of this issue.

Another option you can try is to use the newer Shape Builder tool. Select your objects then switch to this tool. Click and drag across whatever you wish to merge/union and it will give you the same result as the Pathfinder panel, but may avoid any issues you are running into.

So, I was working on another job and it happened again.  Here is the link to the video I took of it:  Im not sure if I need to reinstall Illustrator.  I had initially downloaded it from Adobe as a trial, then bought a disk and used that serial number to activate it...maybe I need to reinstall straight from the disk?? This is so bizarre!! Hope you can help.  Thanks so much! :)

I have just heard from the team at Adobe and we have an idea what is going on.

First, open your transform panel and turn on the options using the pull down menu. Uncheck Align to Pixel Grid. Somehow that may have been activated when you created the new document.

That might fix tis issue!

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World