Adobe Illustrator/Eyedropper tool in Illustrator CS3

How to select a particular color (say, a yellow from a yellow-green gradient) using the eyedropper tool and fill that yellow into another object?

I know that using the eyedropper tool, colors from any image or vector can be used to fill another but don't know how to select a specific color out of a complex color range like that of a gradient.

Hi Shri,

If your object is vector with the gradient applied, the easier option is to use the Gradient panel to secure the color you want.

First open the gradient panel and select the object. It should show the yellow/green gradient fill.

Next, you should see two color stop sliders under the gradient one at the beginning and one at the end representing your two colors. If you want to pick up a color from that gradient, click just below the gradient where you want to pick up the color.

A third color stop slider will show up and you can double click that to extract the color into the Color panel.

From there, you can add that color the swatches panel and then apply to other objects.

If this is a photo or raster object with a gradient, simply hold down the opt/alt key while using the eyedropper to choose the color from the image and add it to your swatches panel to apply it to another object.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World