Adobe Illustrator/illustrator help

I am working on a project that will be a multi layered cnc lit plexiglass art piece. The shape created is a mushroom...I need to make other layers of this that will not only overlap a specific amount but will look as though they are nested in each other. The problem I am having is by copying the original shape and then resizing it, it is not spaced evenly within the original shape. How can I do this? Is there a way to resize a particular complex shape to fit within a specific set of measurements and still be the same shape? Please help.

Hi Greg,

If I understand correctly this suggestion should work for you. Select your shape, then in the Object drop-down menu choose Path>Offset Path. a window opens and you can specify how much larger or smaller to make it. This will enlarge or reduce the size a specified amount creating an equal distance around the shape.

Hope it helps. If you need more info please let me know and I'll be happy to explain in more detail.

Adobe Illustrator

Tom Rouze

I can answer Graphics questions related to Adobe Illustrator 9, 10, and CS. I also have Photoshop experience. Setting up files for printing is my main area of expertise. I am familiar with both PC and Mac platforms. No question is too silly. The only thing silly is a question not asked!

Major hotel chains; Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, Westin.
Cruise lines; Princess Cruises, Norweigan Cruise lines, Holland America.
Casinos; Luxor, Foxwoods, Trump Sonesta.