Adobe Illustrator/Use convert tool to change round end to arrow

QUESTION: I followed instructions to convert a round end of a letter to change it to a pointed arrow end.  It worked but when I did a second round end, it did not work.  I have tried many times and cannot get
the round end to change to an arrow end.  I select the "direct selection" tool.  Click on the background
then click on the art to expose the anchor points.  I select the "anchor" tool and click on the anchor
point at the end of the round end.  The end changes from round to a straight end.  Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Marsha,

Tapping a point with the convert anchor point tool will make it a sharp point or corner. To create a rounded curve, click and hold, then pull out new handles as if you were drawing this with the pen tool. That will create your round end.

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick response Kevin.  I have tried the tapping and either nothing happens or the round end turns to a straight edge.  I must
be doing something wrong but have not figured out what.  Any ideas?

Hi Marsha,

You need to click and hold and not let go with the tool in order to pull out the handles. It reacts just like the pen tool. Tapping and releasing will give you a point, but holding and pulling will give you handles for rounded shapes.

Now the areas that will not allow you to change may be handles and not points. They look very similar.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World