Adobe Illustrator/Illustraor Questions

How do I in Illustrator cs6 CC on a Mac:

1. Take a vector image of a fingerprint (all the lines in the fingerprint are paths)
2. Cut a circle out of the middle
3. Save the circle as a transparency
4. Still have the ability to change the background color and the   color of the fingerprint itself in a new document/artboard.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi Jennifer,

What you are going to use is called a Clipping Mask. First, make sure the fingerprint image is on it's own layer. Then on the same layer, draw a circle shape over your fingerprint image. After you have the circle on top of the fingerprint, click the Clipping Mask button at the bottom of the layer panel. This will clip the image to the circle shape.

To change the color of the fingerprint and it's background, simply add a shape beneath the fingerprint to change the color. If there already is a background behind the fingerprint, use your Direct Select Tool to select the background, then use Select>Same>Fill Color to select all the background color components. You can then change the color of the background. Use the same technique to change the color of the fingerprint itself. Select a part, then use Same to choose all pieces.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World