Adobe Illustrator/References for Illustrating

I cannot seem to find an expert in this area, so I thought you might know the answer.

This is about references for illustration and while I understand the copyrights concerning print work - I want to do illustrations as well as animations based upon videos (dancers).

But I cannot find information pertaining to this.

I know there are many resource sites for us - but never seen one specifically for videos.

Yes, I would be sketching these freehand and then retracing them in illustrator - making the vector. But I want to do a ballet dancer and import her into Flash to do a frame by frame.

Thank you

Hi Debbie,

I do not know of any tutorials for doing this but I have some suggestions.

In order to do a frame by frame animation you will have to take screen captures of every frame of video to use as a template for drawing. It is a painstaking process, but necessary to do what you are asking. Some artists actually have the screen lying flat and draw right on top of it as a lightbox, pausing the video each frame in slow motion.

Here is a resource for animating in Adobe Flash.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World