Adobe Illustrator/Creating a Label to fit a Jar

I'm not great at math and figures... if I need to plug a number into something that does the math, then great, we're in business...  That being said, is there a feature in Illustrator (or Photoshop) to create a label that will fit on a gallon (or larger) jar?  

When I create a label using a full-letter-size-sheet of sticker paper, with minimal cutting being done around the design -- it never goes on smooth. I get bubbles and wrinkles. I imagine that TECHNICALLY in order for it to go on smooth and straight on a curved surface I need to create my design within a curved rectangle that I then cut out.

So how do I figure out the curvature I need without being a math genius?

These are the types of jars I use
Reusing Snack jars similar to:

Brand new:

Programs I have access to:
InDesign (although haven't used it in years)
MS Word
MS Publisher
MS Excel
MS PowerPoint

Hi Sam,

This has nothing to do with the design of the label. They should be straight (not curved). It has more to do with the application of the labels that is causing the wrinkles and bubbles. I've used the Uline galling jars before and straight labels will work fine. Try practicing applying the labels before you put on the final one.

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Illustrator and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Illustrator as a professional graphic designer since 1994. I am also the author of the Adobe Illustrator Certified Expert Exam. I am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World