Adobe Illustrator/CS4

Question
QUESTION: HI

Not sure if you can help or not, but here goes. I have an older (late 2006) iMac running 10.7.5. I just bought a mid-2014 Macbook Pro Retina and used Migration Assistant to transfer my apps over to the Macbook. I have older versions of Adobe (CS4) and I got a Java warning saying to install Java 6 (or something to that effect). I clicked on the link and it brought me to the page to in stall the Java For OSX 2014-001; which I started to download. The download is only 66.9mb and the window shown it as 110 days remaining (and climbing!). Any idea what's going? I restarted the Macbook and tried again and the same thing was happening. I'm running Yosemite 10.10.2 on the Macbook. I know I should probably be running a newer version of CS, but I can't afford it and want to use CS4 for now.

Thanks!
Ed

ANSWER: Hi Ed,

You answered your question in the second line. Migration assistant is terrible at best. You will need to remove and reinstall your apps in order for this to run properly. Also CS4 is not compatible with Yosemite, so you will also need to upgrade your software as well. You can still find copies of CS6 available through Adobe and Amazon, but I would avoid CS5 as that will soon be incompatible as well with updates.

I wish I had an easy solution, but that is the best (and honest) answer you will get.

Thanks!

Kevin

QUESTION: I didn't know how else to transfer my apps over and that's what Apple (and many other boards) said to do, so I did it. Thanks for the tip on CS5. I'll definitely look for CS6.

Ed

Answer
Hey Ed,

Yes Apple will say everything is fine if you use their migration assistant. I've even had people go to the Apple Store and have them do it. The problem is they won't tell you that you should never transfer software applications, only documents. Always reinstall a clean new copy of software to make sure it runs properly with the new OS.

I've helped more people than I can count that have issues because they transferred and didn't reinstall.

Thanks!

Kevin

Adobe Illustrator

Kevin Stohlmeyer