Karl wrote at 2010-03-25 16:01:45
I have just had this problem and it took me 7 hours to sort out, but i have the answer. When i set a new user up with admin privileges i opened indesign up and it worked all my tool panels were there as normal and in the window drop down list i could see all menus etc.

So i opened user/library/preferences and search for everything with indesign in file name and these over to my user prefs and replaced the older ones this did the trick. hope this helps many thanks Karl

Keith Smith wrote at 2011-01-28 19:25:02
I am by no means an Adobe expert, but I had this same problem and fixed it. I looked up many different sites and this is what worked for me. Hold down shift+control+option+command then start up inDesign. It will ask you if you'd like to delete the preference files. Delete them and the toolbars should show up.

Susan Nayak wrote at 2011-03-09 15:22:58
Thank you, Keith! Your suggestion worked for me. I now have the scale tool back in my toolbar. FYI -- if you are using InDesign CS4 for the PC, the keyboard shortcut is shift+ctrl+alt.

Laura McGuire wrote at 2011-03-29 17:23:19

You are the bomb!!! I've tried all the other suggestions to no avail! This really works!! Make sure you move the entire Adobe InDesign CS2 Folder over to the New User Account/Preferences Folder that you just set up. And have your palettes!!! Thanks so much!!!!!

Johnny wrote at 2011-11-03 15:34:32
For anyone else struggling with this problem and looking for an answer, try turning disabling Spaces in your system preferences.

All my InDesign toolbars and palettes returned after doing this. Hope that helps someone.

wesley wrote at 2012-01-12 22:02:16
I'm having the exact same problem, very frustrating indeed.

Johnno wrote at 2012-11-09 18:57:21
Thank you Keith and Susan! This works with CS5.5 as well. Brilliant.

Adobe InDesign

InDesign Pro

As a professional graphic designer, I use Adobe InDesign every day and can answer all of your InDesign-related questions. I will give you easy-to-understand and precise answers, along with many tips and tricks to save you time while working on every project. I have spent years helping beginners learn InDesign, as well as helping professionals master the many features of the world's most powerful page-layout software. Thank-you for your submissions. Please include your operating system (e.g., Mac OS X 10.5.x) and InDesign version (e.g., InDesign CS4) with your questions. Thanks!

After starting my design career using QuarkXPress and PageMaker for many years, the release of InDesign instantly caught my eye. Being one of the reasons for Adobe buying Aldus, I knew this would change the publishing world very quickly. I started using InDesign's first release and haven't looked back. I have dedicated my work and much of my spare time using InDesign to its fullest—and it's paid off. My workflow is quicker, my computer runs smoother, and my files print cleaner and without problem.