Adobe InDesign/'Invisible' text

QUESTION: Hi guys,

I want to put a white box over a picture, then type in the white box and make the letters 'dissaper' (so the background picture shows where the letters are).

I hope you know what I mean, and that there's an easy way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Picture 1
Picture 1  
ANSWER: Hi Manja,

First, set your type, select it and go to Type>Create Outlines. Then place your picture over the type and in the right position and select Cut from the Edit menu. Then select the type and go to Edit>Paste Into.

You can then use the direct selection tool (white cursor) to move the image around inside the type.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for your answer, but that's not quite what I meant.. You have a picture as the background, you place a white or colored box over part of the picture. Then you write a text on this box, then you remove the letters, and the picture will show. I know how to do it in Photoshop (you use the type mask tool), but I can't seem to find the same feature in InDesign, and I don't know if it's at all possible?

Thanks again :)

Hi Manja,

It's a little tricky in InDesign but it works. Place you picture on a page. Draw a box on top and fill it with white. Add a text box on top of that. Type in your text and fill it with none. *Save a copy in case you need to edit later* Go to Type>Create Outlines, while the text is still selected, shift select the white box and go to Objects>Compound Paths>Make.

Hope this helps,

Adobe InDesign

Glen Demers

I am a Prepress Technician for Best Printing Online and can answer any question about preparing your InDesign document for print.

20 years working in prepress
Prepress technician for Best Printing Online
Some college training in printing and have attended numerous seminars