Adobe InDesign/'Invisible' text

Question
QUESTION: Hi guys,

I want to put a white box over a picture, then type in the white box and make the letters 'dissaper' (so the background picture shows where the letters are).

I hope you know what I mean, and that there's an easy way to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Picture 1
Picture 1  
ANSWER: Hi Manja,

First, set your type, select it and go to Type>Create Outlines. Then place your picture over the type and in the right position and select Cut from the Edit menu. Then select the type and go to Edit>Paste Into.

You can then use the direct selection tool (white cursor) to move the image around inside the type.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Hi Glen,

Thanks for your answer, but that's not quite what I meant.. You have a picture as the background, you place a white or colored box over part of the picture. Then you write a text on this box, then you remove the letters, and the picture will show. I know how to do it in Photoshop (you use the type mask tool), but I can't seem to find the same feature in InDesign, and I don't know if it's at all possible?

Thanks again :)

Answer
Test.png
Test.png  
Hi Manja,

It's a little tricky in InDesign but it works. Place you picture on a page. Draw a box on top and fill it with white. Add a text box on top of that. Type in your text and fill it with none. *Save a copy in case you need to edit later* Go to Type>Create Outlines, while the text is still selected, shift select the white box and go to Objects>Compound Paths>Make.

Hope this helps,

Adobe InDesign

Glen Demers