Adobe InDesign/Indesign CS4 missing features

Question
HELP I am a professional designer using Indesign daily, when one of our vendors sent over a file in a lower version of Indesign using the extension (.INX), all of the sudden my Indesign is missing options in the drop down menus, I can not seem to use key commands now, and I seem to have lost my tool bars and all.

I am in a crunch and nervous I may have a virus?
I work on OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5

Any help is greatly APPRECIATED!!!

Jessica

Answer
Hi Jessica,

The .inx files are used to bring an InDesign file into a previous version, if the vendor has a lower version of InDesign than you do, you can just open up the native .indd file.

If you have not already done so, open InDesign and with your normal menus and palettes in place, go to Window>Workspace>New Workspace and save this workspace. When you open the vendors file go to Window>Workspace and select the workspace you just saved.

I know InDesign files carry preferences with them but never heard of them carrying workspace prefs.

Hope this helps,

Adobe InDesign

Glen Demers