Adobe InDesign/runaround


Hello,I think this is a simple question. I used to use Quark Xpress, now I have InDesign CS4 for windows. I have done this in the past, but cant for the life of me remember how. I have a picture and I want the text to flow around the picture. In Quark it was called "runaround". Please help, I am relatively new to InDesign.
thanks !

Hi June,

Thank you for your question.

Yes I had the exact same problem when I moved over from QuarkXpress. Its the same but different if you get what I mean - which can make it hard to spot.

In Indesign its called Text Wrap and with it you can wrap text around any object, including text frames, imported images, and objects drawn within the program.

To display the Text Wrap panel, go to Window > Text Wrap.
This can then be added to your workspace if you are going to use it often.

In the panel you have the same sort of options as you did in Quark - above and below 'runaround' and one that follows the shape of the box etc. It also lets you choose the amount of text wrap, letting you expand or shrink the space that 'repels' the text.

You can also manually adjust this space using the pen tool. If you go to this link - and look at 'Justify text next to wrap objects' you can see the diagram where you have the green drawn shape then a line with anchor points around it - the repelling area - this area can be edited just like you would the green object area - deleting, adding and moving points so that you can adjust the text wrap for when you have weird shapes that cause text to break up around it in a unreadable way.

The link above also has more information on text wrap and its uses.

Another useful shortcut that isn't so easy to find compared to Quark is telling the text wrap to ignore certain text boxes. In Quark it was automatic when you brought a text box to the front of the runaround object. This will not work in indesign. You need to tell it to ignore the text box - Object > Text Frame Options and check the tick box.

Hope that helps. Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks H Louise.

Adobe InDesign

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


H Louise


I am an artworker in the newspaper industry working with both newspaper and glossy products. I can answer most questions on the Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Professional), however please note that I am not as experienced in the use of Illustrator. I also have experience in QuarkXpress, Property software and Photography.


I have been working in the newspaper industry since 2007. I started in QuarkXpress before moving over to the Indesign software.

I have qualifications in art and design as well as a degree in media.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]