Adobe InDesign/Professional Fonts for an Academic Document

I'm writing an academic thesis, which I would like to look as professional as possible. I'm looking for a combination of two fonts - a title and heading font and a serif font for the body - that would combine well and look a little bit more professional than Times New Roman. The thesis will be submitted in pdf format, and they don't necessarily need to be free fonts.

Hi David,

Thank you for your question.

What subject is your thesis on? Do you want the headings to reflect the subject and are you free to play with the presentation a bit? For example I did my dissertation on symbology and metaphor in Buffy the Vampire Slayer so I used used a normal body font, (sadly can't remember what I used!) but I also used a font similar to the show's title sequence for the main heading.

Will you need to use certain/special symbols etc?
What point size do you plan to have the font and do you have a page limit?
You will want a font that has the options to bold and italicize etc as well so that is worth keeping in mind when you choose your font.

There is a font family called Thesis which has serif and sans-serif versions -

I am assuming that you have Indesign? If so the fonts supplied with the program are quite nice, such as Minion Pro, Myriad Pro, Adobe Caslon Pro, Chaparral Pro and Garamond Premier Pro etc.

Some other fonts sans and serif to look at (in no particular order):

Century Schoolbook

Bookman Old Style

Goudy Old Style

Minion Pro

Gill Sans

Please note that I have not personally used all of the fonts above - as there are too many fonts to have used them all! So I would recommend that you print out a test page with your chosen fonts to make sure that they are suitable and are readable.

Useful links:

While choosing a font is a subjective process and down to individual taste - the main thing to remember is that with your chosen font - is it readable, does it look ok in high volume usage on a page and will it still be readable if it has to be printed out. Also will your chosen font compared to another font expand the number of pages your thesis will end up - some fonts are bigger and wider than others.

Hope that helps, if you have any further questions or follow-ups please don't hesitate to ask.
Best of luck!

Thanks H Louise

Adobe InDesign

H Louise

I am an artworker in the newspaper industry working with both newspaper and glossy products. I can answer most questions on the Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Professional), however please note that I am not as experienced in the use of Illustrator. I also have experience in QuarkXpress, Property software and Photography.

I have been working in the newspaper industry since 2007. I started in QuarkXpress before moving over to the Indesign software.

I have qualifications in art and design as well as a degree in media.